Incoming Transfer FAQ

How do I apply to transfer to Spring Hill College?

Please use our SHC Transfer Admissions Brochure to guide you through the transfer to Spring Hill College admission process. Click here, to complete the TRANSFER STUDENT APPLICATION!

Does Spring Hill offer scholarships for transfer students?

Yes! After being accepted to Spring Hill, you will be automatically considered for merit scholarships. Transfer scholarships range from $16,000 to $23,000 annually and are renewable during your time on The Hill.

How does Spring Hill decide what transfer credit to accept?

Spring Hill accepts credit from accredited institutions based on an understanding of the content presented in the course. Additionally, SHC has agreements with all Alabama Community Colleges about credit acceptance. For further questions about how your credits will transfer, please call the Registrar's Office at 251.380.2240.

When can I register for classes?

Student Advising Services will register you for classes prior to you attending Badger Beginnings. You will be contacted by Student Advising to map out times, concerns and to confirm your choice of major. It is very important that you use your SHC student email during the registration period, to guarantee the opportunity to request specific courses. All schedules are built based on placement scores, transferable credit and official transcripts. Transfer students will be able to make adjustments to their schedules during Badger Beginnings, once you have met with an advisor.

How do I know which classes to take?

To get started, visit the Academics 101 website to understand Spring Hill's requirements. For transfer students, placements are based on prior coursework unless no prior coursework was completed, then placements are based upon ACT/SAT scores. At Badger Beginnings you will meet with an advisor who will help you understand how your credits transferred and what courses you will need to graduate from Spring Hill.

What is Transfer Student Orientation?

To kick start the semester, all transfer students will be required to attend/participate the 2019 Badger Beginnings schedule of events (August 19th - August 21st, 2019). The schedule of events includes programming that is specifically for incoming transfer students. It is intended as a time to meet the staff in which you all have been communicating with during the admissions process. To highlight campus resources and to address any concerns prior to the start of school. During Badger Beginnings you will have the opportunity to meet with a representative from Student Financial Services, Advising, and the SHC Wellness Center. This event is mandatory for all incoming students.

What exactly is Badger Beginnings?

All incoming students will participate in Badger Beginnings beginning August 17th through August 19th. Badger Beginnings will be a fully immersive experience into Spring Hill College and that #BadgerLife. It is intended to help new students transition to the campus prior to the first day of classes. At this event you will learn more about the campus, take placement tests (if needed), meet with an advisor and have the opportunity to meet other transfer students. Please contact the Office of Student Affairs, 251.380.3023 for more information about Badger Beginnings.

What are the placement tests?

What are the placement tests? Students at Spring Hill College are required to complete a foreign language. The foreign language placement test is for all transfer students who have not already taken foreign language coursework at a previous institution. If you have not taken a foreign language at the college level and graduated from an English speaking high school, you are required to take the foreign language test. Math and English placements are based on previous coursework or ACT/SAT scores. Those students who have not taken math at their previous institution and do not have ACT/SAT scores should contact Student Advising Services, 251.380.3470, for information about registering for a math placement test.

Does my current GPA transfer?

Does my current GPA transfer? No, only the credit hours will transfer. Your GPA will start over at Spring Hill College. Only Spring Hill classes are figured into your GPA once you have been matriculated, so be sure to study hard your first term at Spring Hill!

Who will be my academic advisor?

Transfer students are assigned to a faculty advisor in their chosen department. This is why confirming your major is very important! Those students who are admitted provisionally, have not chosen a major, and/or transfer less than 24 hours will be advised in the Student Advising Services Office.

What is the Transfer/New Seminar Course?

The SAS 102 course is a non-credit required seminar for all new transfer students. The Transfer/New Student Seminar is a continued orientation to the college. The purpose is to assist new students in making a successful academic transition to SHC. The seminar will introduce the academic policies and procedures for the college as well as give students a chance to create a 4-year plan. The course will meet once a week and run for 5 - 6 weeks, your advisor will register you for a SAS 102 course before you arrive at Badger Connection.

How can I find out about services for disabilities?

For information on academic accommodations contact Rebecca Venter-Lomardo or Center for Academic Support and Advising, 251-380-3470 for assistance. Click here for more information on services.