Incoming Freshmen FAQ

How do I register for classes or know which classes to take? The Student Advising Office creates schedules for incoming students during the summer. Your transcript and test scores are used to place you in the right English, math, and science classes, we then use your intended major to place you in major or core requirements.

What if I have Dual-Enrollment, AP, or IB Credit? Spring Hill College accepts up to 24 hours of credit for first-time freshmen. You will be notified by the Student Advising Office once we receive your official AP or IB scores, please make sure you send the Registrar's Office your transcripts from the college you took dual enrollment in.

I'm an NCAA athlete, how will that affect my schedule? We try to schedule classes around the practice and game times. Depending on your major you may need to take a class that conflicts with practice, but your coaches understand that some major classes may conflict with practice.

How can I make changes to my schedule? You will be able to discuss your schedule with an advisor during the summer and make changes if needed/possible based on class availability. Further changes can also be made once you arrive for orientation and through the end of the first week of classes.

Who will be my advisor? Your academic advisor will be a member of the faulty, Academic Support, or the Student Advising Office. You will be assigned an advisor prior to the beginning of the semester.

What is a student success coach? Every first time freshman is assigned a student success coach when they confirm their enrollment at SHC. While the student success coach provides many services, their main role is to be there as a go-to person for students who don't know who to ask or where to go. Each students' success coach is knowledgeable about the resources and processes available at SHC. Student success coaches also work one-on-one with students on academic probation to create an academic success plan. For more information on Success Coaches and to learn who your Success Coach is click here.

What if I can't decide on a major? That's okay; most college students change their mind anyway! Give yourself time to explore through the classes you take, the people you meet, and the opportunities for involvement on campus. Spend some time exploring the majors Spring Hill has to offer. Also visit our Choosing a Major page for various resources related to exploring majors. Student Advising Services offers SAS 201: Major & Career Exploration which is a career exploration course for students who are unsure of a major or career available to 2nd term freshmen and sophomores. Individual appointments are also available with a career counselor.

What if I have problems with my classes? Talk to your advisor or student success coach if you experience academic difficulties. The first semester is an adjustment period for most freshmen and you should take advantage of the many resources available. You can find additional support including tutoring on the Academic Support Services page.

What is LEAP? Freshmen are placed into a core required course during their first term at Spring Hill which will be assigned as their LEAP course. An accompanying one-hour LEAP lab will help further prepare students for academic success in areas of Jesuit mission and identity and personal growth. With this group of fellow freshmen, faculty and peer mentors, students will experience a sense of community as you learn together and engage with the world outside the classroom.

Does Spring Hill offer an Honors Program? Yes, SHC does have an Honors Program! It is designed to enhance the Spring Hill Experience by offering a challenging and rewarding course of study to academically gifted and motivated students. For more information on our Honors Program click here.

How can I find out about services for disabilities? For academic accommodations contact the Center for Academic Support and Advising, 251-380-3470 for assistance. Click here for more information on services.