Disability Services Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Where is Disability Services located?

Disability Services is located in the Lucey Administration building - CASA.

2. If I am not a Vocational Rehabilitation client, can you help me?


3. Does DS test for Learning Disabilities and Attention Deficit Disorders?

No. We maintain a list of resources for this service that may be obtained from the Disability Service office.

4. I have AD/HD. What services are available to me at DS?

All the services provided by DS are determined on an individual basis. Consideration is given to your needs based on the documentation regarding your disability.

5. What are accommodations and how do I receive them?

Accommodations are modifications or changes to limit the impact of a person’s disability. In order to receive accommodations, you must request them and provide documentation of your disability and how it impacts you in the academic environment.

6. If I register for accommodations, who will have access to my documentation?

DS staff will have access to your documentation, but your disability records are confidential.

7. What services are available for students with psychological disabilities?

Services include academic accommodations and information/ referral. Students can be further supported by the on campus Wellness center, and a licensed professional counselor.

8. If I have consideration for absences, does that mean I don’t have to attend class?

No. Class attendance is extremely important and may be considered an essential component of the course or program. This accommodation only applies if a class is missed for disability-related reasons. If you miss class, you are responsible for contacting your instructor immediately and making up any missed work as soon as possible.

9. Does DS provide tutoring?

No. Free tutoring is offered to ALL SHC students via Center for Academic Excellence (CAE).

10. Who is responsible for getting the documentation I need to apply for services?

You are responsible for getting the appropriate documentation to a DS staff member. A DS staff member may assist you in facilitating this process. However, you must follow up with your provider. All related costs incurred are your responsibility.

11. I have a medical condition. Is that considered a disability?

If you have a medical condition, you may be eligible for accommodations if the condition results in a functional limitation in a major life activity.

12. Will my transcript indicate that I received accommodations?

No. Your disability records are confidential and are not part of your SHC transcript.

13. If my doctor makes accommodation recommendations, will I receive those accommodations?

While recommendations are considered when determining reasonable accommodations, they are not mandatory. Your doctor makes these recommendations to aid in accommodation determination.

14. Do I have to complete a Semester Accommodations Request Form every semester?

Yes. In order to receive accommodations, you must complete a Semester Accommodations Request Form every semester. It is recommended that the form be completed within the first three (3) days of class.

15. Are accommodations retroactive?

No. Accommodations are not retroactive. Accommodations for otherwise qualified students with disabilities do not take effect until you have completed the registration process with DS and your instructor receives the letter via email. DS cannot require the Instructor or anyone else to make changes in grades for assignments/examinations given prior to notification of accommodations.

16. How do I request an interpreter or captionist for my classes?

Complete a Semester Accommodation Request Form requesting services for your classes at least two (2) weeks prior to the beginning of the semester.

17. How do I request an interpreter or captionist for out of class meetings such as tutoring, review sessions, or meeting with faculty members?

Complete an Interpreter Request Form and return it to Disability Services.

18. Why does my interpreter/captionist leave when I am late for class?

Interpreters and captionist are required to wait 10 minutes after the beginning of class. If you do not arrive prior to the interpreter or captionist leaving, you will receive a “no show” for that class.